Boy, 8, Is First Child Ever To Receive Double Hand Transplant
An 8-year-old Maryland boy took a big step closer to his dream of throwing a football earlier this month when he became the first child to receive a double hand transplant.
“I wanna say thank you guys for helping me down this bumpy road,” Zion Harvey said at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.
Zion has spent most of his life without hands and feet. When he was 2 years old, doctors amputated his extremities after an infection caused him to develop gangrene.
His mother, Pattie Ray, said seeing Zion’s new hands “felt like he was being reborn,” according to NBC News.
“I see my son in the light I haven’t seen him in five years,” she said. “It was like having a newborn. It was a very joyous moment for me. I was happy for him.”
A team of 40 doctors, nurses and staff members worked together for approximately 10 hours during the operation at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Doctors felt Zion was a unique candidate for the procedure because he was already taking immunosuppressant drugs to prevent rejection of an earlier kidney transplant.
The hospital explained the procedure in a statement:
During the surgery, the hands and forearms from the donor were attached by connecting bone, blood vessels, nerves, muscles, tendons and skin. The surgical team was divided into four, simultaneous operating teams, two focused on the donor limbs, and two focused on the recipient. First, the forearm bones, the radius and ulna, were connected with steel plates and screws. Next, microvascular surgical techniques were used to connect the arteries and veins. Once blood flow was established through the re-connected blood vessels, surgeons individually repaired and rejoined each muscle and tendon. Surgeons then reattached nerves and then closed the surgical sites.
Even before the operation could happen, doctors faced significant challenges.
“I think —> Read More