From Cat Videos to Self-Healing Concrete: This Week’s Curios
Every day of the year, Curious.com CEO Justin Kitch writes a quirky fact, known as the Daily Curio, intended to tickle the brains of lifelong learners everywhere. This is a weekly digest.
Last week’s Curios covered the math mistake that caused the Western drought, self-repairing concrete, and the Norwegian settlement that banned death.
Curio #762 | Bad drought math
Pretty much every US state west of the Rocky Mountains is currently in a water crisis. And while weather and global warming are partly to blame, the larger problem dates back to a math miscalculation made in 1922. That year seven Western states–Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, and California–entered into the Colorado River Compact. This agreement, at the urging of President Herbert Hoover, divided up the water flowing from…keep reading
Curio #761 | Happy Lefty Day!
To the 10% of you southpaws out there, Happy Left-Handers’ Day! Started in 1996, this holiday spreads awareness of the difficulties left-handers experience in our world… which is designed for the other 90%. The world has gotten more accepting of left-handers recently, but if you are an older left-hander you were probably forced to write or eat with your “proper” hand at some point. Interestingly, the proportion of left-handers…keep reading
Curio #760 | Self-healing concrete
Concrete has problems. It is one of the most widely produced and consumed materials on the planet. Popular since ancient Roman times, it’s still what almost all our buildings, roads, and bridges are made of. That’s because it’s durable, easy to make, and fairly inexpensive. But concrete has a big problem: it always cracks. So scientists have been trying to increase the lifespan of concrete. And they may have hit on something…keep reading
Curio #759 | Skinny jean syndrome
Well, there goes my wardrobe. “Skinny —> Read More