From Selfie Deaths to Saving the Moon Landing: This Week’s Curios
Every day of the year, Curious.com CEO Justin Kitch writes a quirky fact, known as the Daily Curio, intended to tickle the brains of lifelong learners everywhere. This is a weekly digest.
Last week’s Curios covered the dangers of selfie taking, how Margaret Hamilton saved the moon landing, and perfectly hexagonal honeycomb.
Curio #832 | Did you know any hypnagogic jerks in high school?
If you’re in the 10% of humans who don’t experience involuntary muscle twitches, stop reading. The other 90% of you know how odd and/or annoying the sensation can be. Muscle twitches don’t hurt, and are usually harmless. But certain ones, like a twitching eyelid, can be very annoying. The most common type of twitch is called a fasciculation, usually occurring… keep reading.
Curio #831 | How do bees make honeycomb perfectly hexagonal?
If you look closely at honeycomb, you will see it’s made up of tiny, perfect hexagons. For over 2000 years, scholars have been trying to figure out why and how bees create such geometric perfection. And why not triangles or squares, the other two shapes which also tessellate–or fit together repeatedly without gaps? Ancient Greeks believed bees engineered this shape because… keep reading.
Curio #830 | You won’t believe what “creature” is more deadly than sharks
Are you a worrier? Add selfies to your list of dangerous activities to be avoided. Through August of 2015, there have been eight shark related deaths and 12 deaths from selfies. How do selfies kill? By distracting the selfie-taker. The two main causes of selfie deaths are falling and getting hit by trains. Then there are the daredevils who… keep reading.
Curio #829 | How one woman saved the first moon landing from disaster
It’s been over 46 years since Apollo 11 delivered the first —> Read More